Thursday, May 16, 2013

Red Velvet Brownie Bites

I had a problem.



I'll share it with you because telling others about your problems is the only way to continue being a productive human being that will eventually discover the cure to cancer, end world hunger, and, inevitably, save the human race.

The human race is at stake here. So, my problem was this: a tub of cream cheese frosting that needed to be used up. I know, my life is rough. Cream cheese frosting brings me to....red velvet. What just so happened to be waiting in my pantry? A box of red velvet cake mix. It was 25 cents with a coupon. The coupons made me do it.

Alas, I did not have enough frosting for a cake or even cupcakes. I had to get creative.


Red velvet brownie bites to the rescue!

Quick, easy, rich, fudgy, cute little brownie bites were the canvas for my cream cheese frosting. Truly, a work of art. If you need to bring a dessert to a get-together, I recommend these. They are so fast to make! Unlike ordinary brownies, they only take about 8 minutes to bake! The "batter" comes together in a snap using the cake mix. No one will suspect how easy it was.

They won't even question it once they get a look at one of these cuties.





Oh, and not only is it a red velvet brownie topped with smooth cream cheese frosting, but it's also dotted with white chocolate chips. ;)

If, unlike me, you don't happen to be trying to use up a can of frosting, you could go for homemade! It's really not too difficult and tastes better than canned. (Sorry can, you're still delicious!) The frosting is not technicallyyy necessary and there are the white chips...

 but who are we kidding? You want the frosting.

Some of my brownies overflowed the mini muffin pan a wee bit too much and the tops fell off! :o Have no fear! I saved the day by turning the tops into a whoopie pie. That was my moment of genius for the year.



Seriously, so fudgy.

Make these. For the sake of humanity.

Step by step photos:

The lineup of ingredients, almost too simple:





In the oven, the mighty oven, the brownies bake tonight....


Red Velvet Brownie Bites

Ingredients:

  • 1 box red velvet cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
  • about 3/4 can of cream cheese frosting (optional)

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray or grease well. 
  2. In a large bowl, sift the cake mix to remove clumps. Add vegetable oil, milk, egg, and vanilla extract. Mix well. The batter will be very thick; use some elbow grease. Fold in white chocolate chips. 
  3. Place 1 Tbsp of "batter" (it's more of a cookie dough consistency) in each well. Bake for 8-10 minutes. The tops should look shiny and crackly. Allow the brownies to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes. Carefully remove from pan and allow to cool completely. 
  4. Once the brownie bites are cool, pipe or spread cream cheese frosting on top. Enjoy!
Makes about 27 brownie bites. Adapted from My Fair Baking.

2 comments:

  1. red velvet + cream cheese frosting are meant to be together. :) These look so fudgy, gooey, and soft. Oh, and irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Thanks so much! I went a little crazy with the pictures...oops ;)

      Delete