Tuesday, June 4, 2013

D.I.Y. Trail Mix


This is less of a recipe and more of an idea. Here's the idea: Make your own trail mix, packed with things you love, options that suit your diet, and at a fraction of the price.

I think it's a pretty good idea that I'm sure many people have had. I wanted to share my personal trail mix varieties to, hopefully, incite others to explore the world of DIY trail mix!

I call this version "Tropical Blend Trail Mix".



It's packed with banana chips (which I recently discovered I'm in love with and *bonus* they sell a big bag at the dollar tree!), sweetened coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, dry roasted peanuts, and butter toffee almonds. Yumm-o is all I have to say.

This next version is called "Sweet and Salty Mix". I know, so creative.



I loaded this one with dry roasted peanuts, sunflower seeds, chocolate chips, and lightly salted almonds. These are some of my favorite healthy snack foods. It's really fun to choose your personal favorites and find flavors that complement each other to develop a trail mix just for you.



Here are the exact measurements I used for my trail mixes:

Tropical Blend Trail Mix

Ingredients:

  • 1 Tbsp sunflower seeds
  • 20 dry roasted peanuts
  • 12 butter toffee almonds (blue diamond brand)
  • 3-4 Tbsp banana chips
  • 1 Tbsp coconut flakes 

Sweet and Salty Mix 

Ingredients:

  • 8 lightly salted almonds
  • 30 dry roasted peanuts
  • 1 Tbsp sunflower seeds
  • 15 chocolate chips

 Nutrition Information (Approximately)

Tropical Blend

Calories: 233
Fat: 14.6 g
Carbohydrates: 20.9 g
Protein: 7 g
Fiber: 3.8 g

Sweet and Salty Mix

Calories: 275
Fat: 22 g
Carbohydrates: 13.3 g
Protein: 9.9 g
Fiber: 3.9 g

*While the calories and fat may seem high, remember that it is good fat from nuts and sunflower seeds. Trail mix typically is very satisfying (so you don't get hungry quickly) and is packed with protein, fiber, and other vitamins.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Megan! I just stumbled upon your blog and it is super cute! I really like your theme and design scheme. I have to check out more of your recipes. This one seems so delicious yet quick and easy. I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Let me know what kind of mix you make :)

      Delete