Friday, May 31, 2013

3 Ingredient Cake Batter Ice Cream

Cake Batter. It's good stuff.



Do we ever tire of cake batter? I know I don't. So when I saw a recipe for 2 ingredient ice cream with no ice cream maker required, I really couldn't resist cake batter-izing it.

 The cake batter flavor shone through so wonderfully. It honestly tasted like I made cake batter and stuck it in the freezer. I will venture to say that this is the most cake battery cake batter treat I've ever encountered. And I've encountered quite a few cake batter treats in my day.  Pure. cake. batter. goodness. The sprinkles are necessary, of course. Funfetti ftw. And, I did add just a tiny splash of vanilla because vanilla makes everything almost everything better.

Extra Sprinkles, please and thank you.
 The process is so incredibly simple, it blows my mind. Why don't more people know about this?? One little can of evaporated milk, a cup or so of powdered sugar, and whatever flavoring or add-ins you want creates a soft, creamy ice cream that will amaze you.

The first step is to chill the can of evaporated milk overnight. This is vital to whipping it up into a creamy masterpiece. Then, you'll simply whip the evaporated milk, add powdered sugar, and, in this case, cake mix plus sprinkles, and whip until blended. Pop it in the freezer and take out to whip at 1 hour intervals. You'll probably have to do this about 5 times. It's actually kind of fun. I found myself wishing the hours would pass by faster so I could see what state my ice cream matter was in at the time.


I told you it was simple. My mind is swirling with possibilities. Peppermint extract + chocolate chips + green food coloring for mint chocolate chip. Vanilla extract for a classic, cocoa powder for chocolate, red velvet cake mix, other cake mixes, flavor it with duncan hines frosting creation packets (caramel, cotton candy, cinnamon roll, etc). Bah! Ice cream flavors are taking over my brain!


What are you waiting for? You may even have all the ingredients right in your house and the varieties are endless!

Cake Batter Ice Cream (No Ice Cream Maker Required!)

Ingredients:

  • 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk 
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp cake mix (I used yellow)
  • 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles (optional)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla (optional)

Directions:

  1. Chill the can of evaporated (NOT sweetened condensed) milk in the fridge overnight. 
  2. In a large, freezer safe bowl, pour the chilled evaporated milk in. Using a mixer, whip it for 40-60 seconds. I whipped mine until the frothy bubbles were gone. 
  3. Add the powdered sugar, and cake mix. Beat until blended. Finally add the vanilla and sprinkles, if desired. Beat until mixed in. 
  4. Place the bowl in the freezer for 1 hour. Remove from the freezer and beat it for 1 minute. Return to freezer. Repeat this 4 more times. Freeze until set and store covered in the freezer. Enjoy!
Makes about 1 quart. Adapted from Crunchy Creamy Sweet.

*Note* If you choose to make a different flavor that relies on an extract or Duncan Hines flavor packet, up the powdered sugar to 1 1/4 cup. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow this looks really good! I always love ice cream recipes that don't require an ice cream maker. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm always on the lookout for them since I don't have an ice cream maker. Hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  2. Pure Gelato Sydney. Highest Awarded Gelato Manufacturer,
    Retailer & Online orders in Sydney for Pure gelato and ice cream cake.

    ReplyDelete