Thursday, April 11, 2013

Mini Cinnamon Roll Crust Apple Pies

Breakfast of champions?

I won't judge you.

Mini desserts are so much cuter than their regular sized counterparts, and it gives you an excuse to eat two! (The exception to this rule is giant cookies, of course.)

Where did this idea come from? Desperation.

I've seen pictures on pinterest of cinnamon roll crust apple pies - how amazing does that sound? Very. Alas, I only had a small container of pre-made cinnamon rolls (5 count) and my apples fresh from the orchard were running low since I had already made a regular apple pie. What to do, what to do....Make it mini! I wouldn't have it any other way.

I think the name pretty much says it all: Mini. Cinnamon Roll Crust. Apple Pie. That's a triple threat, right there.



I started by spraying a muffin tin with cooking spray. Then, I rolled out the pre-made cinnamon rolls (I used Pillsbury, 5 count package that comes with cream cheese icing), and used them to "line" the cups of the muffin tray.

I halved my favorite apple pie recipe and diced the apples, rather than sliced. Since I didn't want the cinnamon rolls to burn, and because the pies were so much smaller, I wanted to be sure the apples were small too so they could cook thoroughly.

I filled the cups with the apple pie filling and then topped with streusel! I'll take a streusel topping over a top crust any day.

Bake them for about 20 minutes and serve with the provided cream cheese icing or à la Mode.


Let's just say, I know from personal experience that both options are delicious. ;)

They are so irresistible - classic apple pie + warm, fluffy cinnamony goodness + streusel topping = positively cinn-ful! 

I can't resist a good pun. Dough well. 

Ah make the corniness stop! 

Anyway, make these, you won't regret it!


Mini Cinnamon Roll Crust Apple Pies

Ingredients:

  • 5 count Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls
  • 3 cups diced tart apples (about 2-3 medium)
  • 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 2 Tbsp flour
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg

For the Streusel:

  • 1/2 cup flour 
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine, firm
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

    Directions:

    1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside. Separate the cinnamon rolls and roll each one out large enough to line a cup in the muffin tin. Line 5 of the cups with the cinnamon rolls.
    2. Dice the apples. Mix the apples, sugar, spices, and salt. Fill each cup with the apple filling. 
    3. For the streusel, be sure the butter is cold. Cut the flour and sugar into the butter until crumbly or use a food processor and pulse until crumbly. Sprinkle over the apple pies. 
    4. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Check often to make sure the cinnamon rolls and streusel aren't burning. If they begin to burn, cover with aluminum foil. 
    5. Serve warm with icing or ice cream.  
    Warning: You may have a small amount of apple filling left over depending on how much you fill the cups. Makes 5 mini pies. Filling and streusel adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook. 


      4 comments:

      1. A triple threat indeed! These are right up my alley. They look amazing. I love apple pie anything. And of course, mini anything.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. This looks like a great recipe but I noticed that the direstions call for salt but there is no salt in the ingredients. How much salt do I use. Also it says flour under the filling recipe but in the directions it doesn't add it. I would love to make this can you please help?

          Delete
        2. Sorry for the late reply! The salt is optional simply to cut the sweetness. I would use just a pinch (maybe 1/4 tsp) and the flour is mixed in at step two along with the sugar and spices. Thanks for catching that! I hope you enjoy them if you try them! :)

          Delete