Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Peanut Butter Graham Cracker Balls

Well, these truffles are insanely simple. They have all of 3 ingredients - which you probably have in your house right now.


The title gives away two of the ingredients. Peanut Butter. Graham Cracker. And since it's a "truffle" of sorts, it obviously must be coated in chocolate.


Yet as simple as this is, I managed to botch this recipe in my youth. Which is why I wanted to give it another go and actually succeed. Don't let this scare you. Let me explain.

My friend and I had been out and about and we came home, only to discover that we wanted to make some sort of dessert. To pinterest, we went! It just so happens, I had all the ingredients to this recipe in my house. ;) So, since we were too lazy to go to the store, this was our best choice.

So, here's what I did. I read the ingredients and then went to the kitchen. Did I read the measurements? No...I figured I'd just mix until it was a good consistency. Did I read the instructions? No...who needs 'em? Did I read how to melt chocolate? No....I'll wing it with the microwave, I said.

I didn't literally say that but you get the idea. So, we mixed the peanut butter and graham cracker crumbs and it was hard to stick together. Oh well. Then, we "melted" the chocolate. Only, we cooked it too long in the microwave and it seized up and took on a very thick, frosting like texture. Impossible to dip. It was also impossible to dip since we didn't chill the balls.

Pin-tastrophe
The logical solution was to flatten the peanut butter graham cracker things, spread the seized chocolate on top like frosting, give a light dusting of powdered sugar (for aesthetic appeal, of course) and eat it like a barbarian. Delicious, but not our proudest moment.

This time, things went much smoother. I made a teensy weensy batch of 2 and they were delightful. They have a slightly crunchy interior with a smooth, rich chocolate coating. They're not overly sweet -  there's no added sugar! So if you want a sweeter candy, try using milk chocolate for the coating!

Naked Truffles



Here's how:

Peanut Butter Graham Cracker Balls (Small Batch)

Ingredients:

  • 1 Tbsp peanut butter
  • 1.5 Tbsp graham cracker crumbs
  • Melted chocolate for dipping

Directions:

  1. Mix the peanut butter and graham cracker crumbs thoroughly. Chill the mixture in the fridge for about 10 minutes. 
  2. Remove from fridge and roll into 1 inch balls. Place the balls on wax paper lined plate. Chill in the fridge or freezer. 
  3. In the meantime, melt the chocolate. 
  4. Prepare a sheet of wax paper for the truffles to set. 
  5. Remove the balls from the fridge or freezer. Dip in the chocolate. I dropped the ball in the chocolate, and used two spoons to coat and remove. Set it on the prepared wax paper.
  6. Garnish with mini chocolate chips, chocolate sprinkles, etc. or leave plain. 
  7. Allow the chocolate to set. This takes about 30 minutes. Place them in the fridge to speed up the process. 
  8. Enjoy!
Makes 2 truffles. Recipe adapted from  Baby Gizmo.

No comments:

Post a Comment