Monday, May 6, 2013

Almond Joy Haystack Cookies (Gluten Free and No Bake!)

I'm calling these haystack cookies because that's what they look like and that's what I kept calling them in my mind. So that is what they will be. Forevermore.

Remember those Gluten Free Fudge No Bake Cookies?

Do you remember how they were gluten free, sugar free, butter free, yet completely delicious? They were sinful in taste only. I'm still in awe at how good they taste while being healthy.

Well, these bad boys are a spin off of that recipe. I love almond joys. The sweet coconut accented by the smooth chocolate and almond flavor. They're chewy, but also melt in your mouth. These cookies have those same qualities that I love so much in the candy bar. They taste scary similar to Almond Joys. I like that.


 It may not be the most photogenic cookie but it makes up for it in it's taste and healthiness.

I used the same fudge base as the gluten free fudge no bakes, but I used sweetened, flaked coconut, and slivered almonds as my mix - ins. Since I used sweetened coconut, these have some refined sugar, but feel free to use unsweetened coconut if you wish! Since I knew that these were still more healthy than your average cookie and it was the weekend, I sprang for the sweetened. Lol.

I'm not gluten free but I thoroughly enjoyed these and so did my family and friends. My mom said "Curse these cookies!" and I had to remind her that they're actually healthy!

 If you like almond joys, you'll like these cookies. If you don't like almond joys, try some other mix - ins and let me know how it goes! You could try it the way the original recipe has it, with peanuts and sunflower seeds, or oats for a more traditional no bake cookie, or anything you desire!

I had a thought about using butter or caramel extract or both, mixing in pecans and making a sort of chocolate praline. I have some experimenting to do.


Almond Joy Haystack Cookies (Gluten Free)

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, solid form
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup slivered almonds
  • 1.5 cups sweetened, flaked coconut

Directions: 

  1. Line a cookie sheet or platter with parchment paper. Set aside. 
  2. Combine the honey, cocoa powder, and coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until it is melted and combined. Allow to boil for one minute (I had to raise my heat to medium-high to reach a boil). 
  3. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and salt until completely smooth. 
  4. Stir in coconut and almonds (or whatever mix-in you desire) making sure it is all coated. Use a spoon to drop small mounds onto the prepared cookie sheet/platter. Make them as big or small as you desire. 
  5. Chill the cookies in the fridge for 1 hour to set. Cookies must be stored in the fridge because of coconut oil's low melting point. Enjoy! 
 Makes 16-25 cookies depending on size. Adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction.


No comments:

Post a Comment